Repurposing means raising my standards -- 5 habits of a perfect upcycler

Repurposed jeans
I'm not, by nature, a detail-oriented person. I like big ideas, overarching connections, unifying themes. That's great for an English major but not so good for a craftsperson. And it's even worse for someone who makes things out of previously used stuff. 

People like the idea of keeping that pair of jeans out of a landfill. But they don't want reminders of the last person who wore them. So if you upcycle, you need to become a perfectionist. Here are habits I need to acquire in order to be a "more perfect" upcycler.

1. Measure precisely and often


I prefer cooking over baking. If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of paprika or a tablespoon of oil, I don't bother rummaging around my utensil drawer for the right spoon. I just estimate. 

Measure precisely and oftenBut approximation doesn't work in baking and, as it turns out, in making -- at least making things that need to be certain size (to fit a specific type of tablet, for example).  My first Kindle bag taught me this lesson. When I'm trying out a new pattern, I need to measure it several times, not just eyeball it.

2. Straighten up and sew right

When I sketch, my lines come out a bit askew. And that's ok in a drawing. But not when I need to cut a rectangle out of cardboard, position a zipper, or topstich a fancy border. I've learned that if you start a line just a little less or more than 90 degrees, soon the horizontal line becomes a diagonal. My husband loaned me his T-square ruler just so I can make really straight lines. All I need to do is use it.

3. Slow down and stay present

Slow down and stay present
The faster I go, the more I get done. That's what I tell myself. But in reality, if I go too fast, I forget the coat of Mod Podge or the elastic ends up twisted. I lose my focus and start making mistakes. Usually, I'm hurrying because I want to get to the end result as fast as I can. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid the process itself. So not only do I make mistakes, but I have a miserable time doing it.

If I catch myself, I try to re-focus on the stitches or globs of glue right in front of me. I slow my movements. (I can dial down the stitching speed on my sewing machine.)  If I can't stay mindful, then I put the project aside for a few hours. 

4. Be a discriminating shopper

I admit it -- one reason I like to repurpose is that it gives me an excuse to shop. Or, more precisely, to be on the hunt. I'm thrilled when I track down an old Trixie Belden book or a kitschy textbook. So thrilled that I sometimes overlook the stains on the back and the tears in the spine. When I get home, I realize that the amazing finds are just too damaged to use.

So before I buy a book or a piece of clothing, I double-check for stains, tears and other imperfections that I can't work around. And to limit my purchases to materials that will express my brand, I gave myself shopping guidelines.  

5. Wrap it right


When I first started selling my work online in my Etsy shop, I didn't fuss over packaging. I bought a stack of padded envelopes from an office supply store and slapped each order inside.

But when I ordered items from other Etsy sellers, I noticed how much care they took with their packaging. Their items -- no matter how humble -- arrived carefully wrapped in vintage print tissue paper, tied with hemp string or ribbon, with a handmade tag on top. Clearly these artists didn't stop paying attention once their piece was done.


Wrap it rightSo I tried paying attention to my wrapping too. Instead of pre-bought envelopes, I started making my own out of heavy paper from old books I already had on hand (atlases work well). Now I send off my Scrabble bracelets in small cloth bags made out of fabric remnants. I wrap my tablet book cases in pages from old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. 

And some customers notice. They tell me so!

I continue to look for ways to be careful, precise and still have fun and be creative. How about you? Is this balance important to you? 

Comments

  1. Thank you for the share. You are helping others to grow their knowledge by sharing such a valuable information very helpful

    Thanks Again
    wire binding machines
    coloured pvc binding covers
    single sided laminating
    wide format laminators/laminating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment