A new (to me) mixed media technique -- creating a multicolored background using Vaseline as resist

vaseline jar
Yesterday was another session of my mixed media workshop. Fearless leader John showed us how to use Vaseline to create multicolored backgrounds.

That's right -- plain old Vaseline! Otherwise known as petroleum jelly.

I'll start with the finished journal spread first.
Journal spread made using vaseline as resist
Yes, that's a young Winston Churchill on the right, along with a lovely lady (his mother, I think). He looks bemused by the bits of handwritten letter to his right. (The excerpt in the middle says "Don't think there's any danger of his company." I like that.)

This spread started with newspaper, torn apart and glued down using matte medium.
Journal spread made using vaseline as resist
Next I smeared Vaseline over areas I wanted to keep unpainted. Then I covered the spread with green paint. After it dried, I wiped off the Vaseline.
Journal spread made using vaseline as resist
I repeated this step with yellow green and dark blue. I ended up with this background.
Journal spread made using vaseline as resist
At John's suggestion, I added a bit more red to bring out the bits of red newspaper still visible.

I liked this technique -- it's easy and the results are dramatic. Plus the Vaseline is non-toxic (unlike some art supplies) and makes my hands soft!

Comments

  1. This is a favourite technique, and one I use often. If your background is a thick layer of acrylic, you can gently wipe off the Vaseline with a soapy cloth to make it possible for further over-working, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan to try it again. Any tips about whether it's better to go from lighter colors to dark or vice versa?

      Delete
  2. I love that technique, I use it with stencils as well, it makes a mask out of the stencil, love your collage underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh! A new to me technique...chortle...I'm sure there are many more. This is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love mixed media -- so many different things to try!

      Delete
  4. This is a favorite of mine as well for stencils... except vaseline on my fingers creeps me out and I have to go wash right away lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great technique tip Claudia! I have heard of it, but never seen it in use before- thanks for sharing- on my list of must try s!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful page. I once tried the technique, not very successful, I think I used too much Vaseline all over, but after watching your page I'm definitely going to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok...I gotta try this! thanks for the info Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Love the Churchill pic - it really pops against that colorful background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing that technique I have never tried it and for sure will give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Vaseline! I will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment