DIY Postcard Kit

Map of Colorado
A few weeks ago, a good friend and her 11-year-old son (my unofficial godson) moved from Chicago to Boulder, CO. I remember moving away from my own best friends when I was about his age (we went from Ohio to Oregon). I thought he might want to write to his friends and family in the midwest.

I looked around for a "make-your-own-postcard" kit at local toy stores and bookstores but had no luck. So I made one. It turned out to be a perfect use of papers from my stash.


Here's what I included:

  • 12 postcard blanks, cut from heavy white poster board.
  • Illustrations from Hardy Boys books and a very old Sears catalog
Sears catalog
Hardy Boys illustration
  • Assorted stencils and stickers
  • Game cards that a tween boy might appreciate

old game cards
  • Maps of his new state

map of Colorado
  • Illustrations from a "Wacky Package" Calendar, saved for just such a purpose
Wacky Package

Wacky Package
  • Postage stamps and customized return address labels
  • A sample postcard

sample postcard

sample postcard
I found an old poker chip case at a local thrift store. I re-lined it with camo fabric and voila, the perfect container for this one-of-a-kind gift.
upcycled poker chip case

Contents of DIY postcard kit

upcycled poker chip case
I'm looking forward to getting my first card (hint hint).

Comments

  1. That's awesome! I can totally see you marketing these! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one is enough! But thank you for the nice thought.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I can totally see you marketing these! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea- what a fabulous gift!! You are the cleverest, Miss Claudia!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's fantastic !!! What a great gift to send him !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. Now the wait for a postcard from him begins!

      Delete
  5. Not finding a “make-your-own-postcard-kit” turned out to be a good situation, because then you were able to piece together stash of old papers and cards for that extra “authentic” feel to it. I’m sure your “unofficial godson” would be thrilled to get this. Cheers!

    Faye Fowler @ MasterCopyPrint

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment