Cigar box journal -- unmasked

Cigar box journal
Last year, I inherited a stack of old cigar boxes from my Uncle Dave, who used them to store pieces of his model trains. After he died, the boxes first went to his son Jim, my cousin, then to another cousin, Cindie, and finally made their way to me.


Knowing I could never use so many boxes, I offered to share them with my collage workshop group. John, our fearless leader, came up with a fun project. We made collaged journals to put inside the boxes, then collaged the boxes themselves. 

Here's the lid of my box. The theme is "unmasked." 
Cigar box journal

Inside, I made three sections -- one for the large journal we made and two smaller ones, for mini books I hope to make in the future.
Cigar box journal

Cigar box journal

Here are the front and back of the journal. The binding is called "Japanese stab." For page backgrounds, I snipped architectural details from magazines.

Cigar box journal
The pages reveal my obsession with people in masks. These guys belong in a Sci-Fi movie.
Cigar box journal
Make-up is a mask for these young girls.
Cigar box journal
My mom had a hair dryer like this one. My husband once had to wear a hazmat suit for a terrible job he got right out of college.
Cigar box journal
 War and science often involve wearing masks. I wonder why?
Cigar box journal
 Only one mask here, a colorfully angry one.
Cigar box journal

Comments

  1. How fun that you all found a use for those cigar boxes! Very creative.....and weird......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure Uncle Dave would be very surprised.

      Delete
  2. Your cigar box and journal look just spiffy on your blog. Super wonderful job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! They almost look better in digital format.

      Delete

Post a Comment