Can't quite put my finger on it....an altered book about fingerprints

I've spent the last couple of weeks obsessed with a strange old book. It started life as a guide to fingerprinting, published in 1936. I bound a selection of pages into an accordion book using black card stock.

Here are the first and last pages.
Altered collage book about Fingerprints

I added ephemera from my huge stash of vintage magazines and books. Who knew that Emily Bronte was an amateur fingerprint analyst?
Altered collage book about Fingerprints

At first, I added lots of people, like the men in this spread. (They came from old kids books that I turn into Kindle cases in my Etsy shop.)
Altered collage book about Fingerprints
But the more I worked with the pages, the less I wanted to see people. Instead, I pulled diagrams and technical drawings from an old set of "Family Handyman" books. 
Altered collage book about Fingerprints

Altered collage book about Fingerprints
And hands...I added all the hands I could find...hammering hands, cutting hands, scrubbing hands, painting hands, even bow-tieing hands.
Altered collage book about Fingerprints

Altered collage book about Fingerprints

Altered collage book about Fingerprints
These hands are polishing the fingerprints to a lustrous shine.
Altered collage book about Fingerprints

Altered collage book about Fingerprints
These tiny pink imps are actually electrons. What, exactly, could they be up to????
Altered collage book about Fingerprints
This is only half the book. Stay tuned for part 2....

Comments