How to make good pictures by combining strange things

I enjoy creating odd "people" and putting them in everyday scenes. In this case, I transformed a very old guide to photography into a photo album featuring humans with ancient heads and sculptured bodies with live faces.
Collages in altered book
Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I spent almost 3 weeks creating these small collages.
Collages in altered book
My workspace was covered with piles of old museum and art books and interior design magazines. Most of the "human" pieces came from a small photo book of the 1960s.
Collages in altered book
If you look closely, you may recognize some of these flying creatures. Is that a tiny Michael Caine on the upper right??
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
As a finishing touch, I added text from old elementary school readers (See Spot Run style). It took me awhile to figure out what these creatures would say.
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
I'm obsessed with staircases...
Collages in altered book
And filling the walls with art...
Collages in altered book
In this spread, a young Joe Biden confers with James Madison...
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
These two look equally matched...
Collages in altered book
Emma Peel refuses to share her cookies...
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
I can almost hear the music. Can you?
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
These two are wearing giant sausages, in case you were wondering...
Collages in altered book
My favorite spread...
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book
You can't have too many bunnies, right?
Collages in altered book

Collages in altered book

Comments