Favorite goops and gadgets, part 2: Reconstructing

In my last post, I described my favorite tools for deconstructing materials. In this one, I list goops and gadgets for putting things back to together.



Dimensional glaze
1. Dimensional glaze -- After experimenting with many types of resin and glaze, I found that Royal Coat Dimensional Magic works the best for covering Scrabble tiles and dominoes. It's easy to apply, doesn't require heating or mixing, and almost always results in a clear, bubble-free surface. 

I seal the paper with Mod Podge before I apply the glaze. To remove any bubbles, I use a plastic syringe right after I apply the glaze. It takes 24 hours to dry completely, but I think it's worth it.


2. Setters and anvils for rivets, grommets & snaps -- I love these punk, professional looking closures. It took me awhile (and lots of crushed rivets and snaps) to learn a simple lesson -- each size requires its own setting tool and anvil. You can't use a size 20 setter to set a size 24 snap. Who new that tools could be so picky? 
rivet setter and anvil
(BTW, here's a good tutorial about setting rivets in purses.) I usually buy these at Tandy in Seattle. Because size is so important, I label all my setting tools and anvils. I also keep the rivets, snaps, and grommets in plastic boxes with labels of their own.


X-ron sticker maker
4. Xyron sticker maker -- When I first bought it, I didn't know what I'd use this hot-pink tool for. Certainly not stickers! I quickly realized that running my small squares (cut with the hole punch from part 1) through the Xyron made them much easier to position and stick to the back of wooden Scrabble tiles. No gooey glue bubbles or drips. And I love saying "Xyron." It reminds me of that cheesy 70s movie starring Sean Connery -- Zardoz!

3. Duct tape -- need I say more?
Paper bead roller
4. Paper bead roller -- I wrote in a previous post about how wonderful this tool is. It's easy to use and creates a perfect bead every time. Plus, it comes in yellow-green!

5. Adhesives -- the two glues I use most often are a ph Neutral glue (for paper) and E6000 (for everything else). I sometimes use Mod Podge as a glue as well, or a glaze. (Check out the tips and tutorials at Mod Podge Rocks.)
adhesives and glazes
6. My "bro" sewing machine -- In my early teens, my first major purchase was a 30-pound, all-metal sewing machine from JC Penney. It stitched straight and zig zag and that's about all. But I loved it. To buy it, I saved up months of babysitting money ($129). It served me for many years, but after a long sabbatical, it was time for retirement. 
My brother sewing machine
My new machine is a light, plastic Brother -- it cost much less than my first one (that $129 in 1975 would be $550 today) and it's computerized. Which means 48 different stitches, all at the push of a button. And I can pick it up with one hand and sew on any flat surface.

7. Curved needles -- I learned about curved needles in a fantastic bookbinding workshop I took at Seattle Book Arts. I use them with waxed linen or cotton thread to bind pages in blank books made from game boards and vintage books.
Curved needles for bookbinding
Part 3 of this series should be about my favorite tools for organizing. Let's see if I can organize my time well enough to write it!


Comments