Charmed, I'm sure -- repurposing word tiles from a second-hand board game

Repurposed game pieces
Sometimes, a thrift store find becomes more and more useful as time goes on. Several years back, I binged on second-hand board games -- not for playing, but as raw material for upcycling. For inspiration, too. 



Apart from Scrabble, I usually ignore newer games. My motto is "the older the better." But I make rare exceptions -- like Funglish, a word game I've never played. It comes with 100+ rectangular word tiles made of cardboard in a variety of colors. The words, mostly adjectives, are printed in decorative fonts that echo their meanings.
Repurposed game pieces
In the past, I've attached these words to the covers of my blank journals.
Repurposed game pieces
A few weeks ago, I dug them out again to make giveaways for "Book'd in Burbank," a booklovers'  event in California. Usually, I contribute bookmarks. But this time I wanted to make something different. As long as you can read it, I hoped, they would like it.

Here's what I came up with.
Repurposed game pieces
Using a screw punch, I made a hole in one end of each tile and threaded a plastic cord through it. I added a bead and a clasp and called it a charm.  
Repurposed game pieces
Since the giveaways were supposed to advertise my business, I had to find a way to squeeze in my Web address. It had to be readable but small. What to do?

Drag out my old typewriter. Actually, my dad's old typewriter. 
Old Smith Corona typewriter
I found an old sheet of labels and typed "www.wasnowcreations.com" over and over and over. I'd forgotten how much effort it takes to push down one of these keys. 
Repurposed game pieces
I'm on the lookout for another box of Funglish. The only tiles I have left will be hard to use -- words like "stinky," "dirty," and "evil." Hmmm, maybe my Girl Scout troop can find a use for them...

Comments

  1. Love the idea, and I'll be looking out for some Funglish games at our local Gleaners. And those leftovers? How about Halloween spreads in a journal? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaa love the GS troop comment! Very cool charms- i bet they loved them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment