Gelli plate to the rescue! Junk mail makeover

junk mail
I am the victim of a vast conspiracy. You probably are, too. I am being smothered in paper I don't want. Phone books and free "newspapers" pile up on my doorstep, junk mail clogs my mail box, and companies insist on sending me paper bills and return envelopes even though I pay online. 

Everywhere I go, people try to give me more paper, even my beloved library. And don't get me started on paper receipts.

To fight back, I recycle or refuse all this unwanted paper. But sometimes I hold on to it, just in case. That's why I have an entire file box full of cheesy greeting cards.
unwanted greeting cards
I received them from a variety of charities I donated to (once). Even if I liked the designs, I can't use them because the back praises me for being a selfless supporter, making me a fraud. What to do?

Gelli plate to the rescue!

I considered covering the cards with white gesso before I started printing. But a sense of adventure (and laziness) told me to print directly onto the cards. Maybe the underlying design would combine with the print in a cool way.

Sometimes it did.
Gelli printed notecard
Sometimes it didn't.
Gelli printed notecard
(I call this one "Christmas with the measles.")

I was happy with these.
Gelli printed notecard


After the paint dried, I added embellishments to some of the card fronts, either to hide traces of the original card or to create visual interest. The first three below are stamps, and the last one is an outline made with a white gel pen.
Gelli printed notecard

Gelli printed notecard

Gelli printed notecard

Gelli printed notecard
To cover the original message on the inside of the card, I attached blank paper using double-sided tape.
Gelli printed notecard
The best part about my recycled cards is that they come with envelopes!

So what do you think? Am I still being a fraud by using these unsolicited cards?

Comments

  1. How cool! Ig et those all the time. Next time I will save them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, no being a fraud at all.....if you don't recycle them they'll just be tossed and since places won't stop sending them why not make them into something you'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia, fantastic idea, and you know what, your laziness was pretty good, those cards shouldn't be painted at all, look perfect as it is, even more exciting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a great way to reuse your junk! I will think twice before throwing anything out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart idea! You didn't ask for them, but they were sent anyway. Recycling keeps them out of the landfil, and brightens someone's day! Win-Win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing...did you print on the back too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! LOVE IT! An envelope with a batch of unsolicited cards arrived just this week. Now I know what I'm gonna do with them. I hope mine turn out as nice as yours did. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment