Walking on the earth -- collages about the new Anthropocene era

This past summer, I found a near-pristine edition of the book National Parks of the Northwest. I turned the cover into a case for large tablets. I saved the glossy photos until I was inspired to start a new collage series, which I call "Anthropocene." That's the name of the new geologic epoch we're in, the first where humans have a significant impact on the earth.

This epoch reminds me of that old song by the Police (with one change):

Giant steps are what you take
Walking on the earth...
... Some may say
I'm wishing my days away,
No way
And if it's the price I pay
Some say 
Tomorrow's another day
The first set of collages are abstract -- hands, feet, faces enmeshed in the natural environment.
Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series


Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series

Collage in Anthropocene series
The next set of collages show the effect of people inhabiting these natural spaces. Stay tuned...

Comments