Articulated people -- collages that move

If you follow my Instagram account, you've seen my recent collages featuring anatomical illustrations. In addition to these two-dimensional collages, I've begun making moveable people -- "articulated" is the technical term. 

So far, I've made more than 20 articulated people, gathering parts from magazines, old art books and doll catalogs. (To connect the parts, I use old-fashioned metal "brads.") But I'm not sure how to display them. For the time being, I'm attaching wooden kabob spears to each "person," and then sticking them in a styrofoam stand. But eventually, I think I'd like to make some kind of wall display.

Here are a few of my creations. And at the end of this post, there's a video showing how I tried animated one "person" digitally. Which, it turns out, is a lot of work!

Comments