Teen magazines from the 1970s

As a teen in the 1970s, I was a big fan of Partridge Family star David Cassidy. I read about my "heartthrob" in teen magazines like Tiger Beat and 16 and plastered my walls with photos and posters from their pages. So when I saw a batch of old teen magazines for sale on an auction site, I snapped them up. 

These issues are from the mid- to late 70s, a few years after my Partridge Family phase. I wasn't a fan of David Soul or the Bay City Rollers, the superstars of the time.

Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s
As much as I love the photos, it's the text that I find fascinating -- and disturbing. Can you imagine a headline like this in a teen magazine today?
Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s
A kissing kit? Really?
Teen magazine from 1970s
I love this photo of a slumber party. Look at those sunglasses! And that camera!
Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s
Maybe they did at the time, but I'm pretty sure neither Henry Winklwer or John Travolta has "got cool" today...
Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s
I'd forgotten all the silly puns...like "Love-O-Scope." Very 70s.
Teen magazine from 1970s

Teen magazine from 1970s
This is the Michal Jackson I remember...
Teen magazine from 1970s
I certainly don't remember any posters like THIS!
Teen magazine from 1970s
How to use these gems in my artwork? I'm not sure, but you can bet you'll be seeing Donny and Farrah in future collages.

Comments