My newest bad habit -- online auctions

 A few weeks ago, I shared a box of old photos I'd won in an online auction. Since then, I visit the auction site every morning, looking for more vintage gems. 

My first big purchase was an old metal dollhouse, just like the one I had when I was young. Maybe you did, too.

Bidding at online auction -- dollhouse
Except for a missing dormer roof, the house arrived in great shape. But it was empty. So the next step was to find furniture to fill it. As a kid, I collected "Petite Princess" sets, available at my local discount store. Could I find the same sets for sale? Of course I could!
Bidding at online auction -- dollhouse furniture
I was thrilled to find the exact same pieces I had when I was younger. What I didn't recall, though, was that the furniture was too large for the dollhouse. They crowd the rooms and the grandfather clock is so tall, it has to stay outside on the porch.

So I continued shopping. I hoped my next purchase would fit better.
Bidding at online auction -- dollhouse furniture
This time, the furniture (and slightly chewed people) were too small. Except for a huge playpen.

I wasn't giving up. I crossed my fingers and tried one more time. This set, happily, fits the house almost perfectly. Look at that vintage washing machine!
Bidding at online auction -- dollhouse furniture
Thanks to their many metal joints, the happy couple can actually sit on the chairs and bend over the sink. They just need a little touch-up to make their faces less horrific.
Bidding at online auction -- dollhouse furniture
In addition to dollhouses, I love old telephones, and there are plenty for sale. I snagged this toy Barbie phone, complete with tiny vinyl LPs.
Bidding at online auction -- phone
Now I just have to figure out how to make it work! I've bid (and lost) on my dream phone:
Bidding at online auction -- phone

Bidding at online auction -- phone
And I wouldn't mind owning an old metal phone sign. But other bidders are willing to pay way more than I am.
Bidding at online auction -- phone sign
And I have to confess, I would LOVE to own an old phone booth. But how much would it cost to ship it across country? Too much.
Bidding at online auction -- phone booth
But what I really, really want is an old wooden library card catalog. There are a few up for auction, but again, how can I justify paying more for the shipping than the actual piece? Also, as my husband likes to tease me, what would I put in all those drawers? Still, a girl can dream....
Bidding at online auction -- card catalog

Comments

  1. This is way crazy good! I did not know you had this exciting aspect of your life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun; thanks for showing off your finds! My sisters and I had a similar dollhouse when we were kids, complete with that plastic furniture. I loved playing with that dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment