Yearbooks from 90-100 years ago

I love old yearbooks. I love paging through them, imagining the lives of the students and contrasting them with my own high school and college years. And I don't mind cutting them up for art's sake. Or bookmarks.

But the latest batch of yearbooks I got from an online auction are much older than any of the others I have. The first one is from 1915 -- more than 100 years ago! It's from Washington State "College" and features a politically incorrect mascot on the cover.

1915 Chinook Yearbook
Students wear their mortarboard caps for their senior photos, looking very elegant. I wonder if the students themselves wrote the quotes beside their photos. Edna is a "maiden never bold of spirit, still and quiet." Nellie is bolder, "in action faithful, in honor clear." Stew pledges plainly, "When I have something to do, I go and do it." And Robert is "of a free and honest nature."
1915 Chinook Yearbook
I wonder how these cross-country runners felt about their uniforms, complete with turtleneck shirts. 
1915 Chinook Yearbook
The football team wrapped themselves in long blankets. Maybe they were trying to look fashionable?
1915 Chinook Yearbook
People dressed up in 1915....
1915 Chinook Yearbook
The second yearbook is the 1927 Crimson and Gold from Colton Union High School in California.
1928 Crimson YEarbook
The inside pages are filled with students' notes and signatures. The yearbook owner (Royce) was very popular! Myrtle was "a Freshie Friend who can be true." Another girl pleads, "Forget any one you want to, but please don't forget your friend Viola..." More ominous, "Next time you get in my way, I'll break every bone in your body." Hmmmm...
1928 Crimson Gold
These students look very mature for high schoolers.
1928 Crimson Gold
Typing students won awards for fast typing. Marie Newell won a gold pin "studded with rubies" for typing 80 words per minute. That's very fast for the clunky machines they were probably using.
1928 Crimson Gold
Sports teams always look uncomfortable in group photos -- which is why I like looking at them!
1928 Crimson Gold
This yearbook included a bonus insert -- sheet music. Sales of the rousing "Ja-Da" benefitted the Navy Relief Society.
1928 sheet music
These are only 2 of the 5 yearbooks I received. Stay tuned for more yearbook photos (and collages inspired by them)

Comments